Tuesday 16 November 2010

Cross Pathway Project



For the past few weeks I've been working with a group other students on a 'cross-pathway project'. I should say that I really enjoyed this project and loved being part of a team, I think that the final outcome that we came up with is something that none of us would have thought of or would have been capable of were we working individually.
We were given the word 'kinetic' and asked to think up something around that. We decided to reinvent an old Victorian toy based on the notion of movement and the persistence of vision called a 'thaumatrope'. We then decided that we would need a mechanism in order to display them and so came up with a box with a motor that would spin the image for the viewer; we were trying to create something that wouldn't look out of place at a Victorian carnival.
We created the designs of the thaumatropes with a 'trick or treat' theme; the idea being that once you choose a thaumatrope you can not tell if your image is a trick or a treat until you 'take it for a spin' in the machine. My designs were all 'tricks' based around the idea of 'subverting innocence'.By that I mean that on one side of the design I would put an illustration that depicts something innocent and slightly twee in a style that wouldn't look out of place on the cover of an Edith Blyton novel and then on the other side I would put a detail that when placed on the initial images takes away the innocence or 'subverts' it.

No comments:

Post a Comment